Loveisrespect is a partnership between the National Dating Abuse Helpline and Break the Cycle. Together, we have employees in Los Angeles, CA; Austin, TX and Washington, DC. We are currently hiring an Online Organizer for our Austin, TX location.
Young people are underestimated and their power is untapped. Your goal as Online Organizer is to unleash their power and fearlessly lead young people towards creating a culture free from abuse. You will join loveisrespect, Break the Cycle’s partnership program with the National Dating Abuse Helpline, and report directly to the National Organizing Manager. If you are hip to youth culture and savvy to technology, download the complete job description.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NDAH/LIR Overnight Set Shift Relief Advocate (Temporary)
Location: Austin, TX
General Position Purpose Statement
The LIR Overnight Set Shift Relief Advocate (Temporary) is a member of the Love is Respect Helpline and is supervised by the Helpline Shift Lead.
The term of employment is limited to a 3 month agreement.
The LIR Overnight Set Shift Relief Advocate (Temporary) is responsible for responding to incoming calls, chats and texts on the LIR website from victims, advocates, general public and service providers and provides crisis intervention, safety planning, referrals, information and problem solving to all callers.
The LIR Overnight Set Shift Relief Advocate (Temporary) position is scheduled on a set schedule. Available shifts are:
1) Sun/Mon/Tue – 11:45 pm – 8:00 am (Overnight)
Due to LIR’s 24/7, 365 days per year operation, the LIR Overnight Set Shift Relief Advocate (Temporary) will be required to work night, weekend, and holidays. This position requires a high level of empathy and sensitivity to all incoming inquiries.
- Accepts calls and chats from victims and/or the general public. Provides referrals to local services; provides information/education about domestic violence.
- Accepts calls and chats from service providers; networks with service providers; receives updated service directory information from service providers.
- Places out-going conference telephone calls to service providers to advocate for LIR callers’ needs; refers unresolved problems between service providers and LIR callers to Helpline Shift Leads; documents contacts and results.
- Advocates shall maintain standards of conduct that are empowerment-based and nonjudgmental; Advocates shall respond to all calls and chats in a professional manner with a tone of calmness, sensitivity, empathy and non-judgment; Advocates shall respond to all calls and chats with accurate information; Advocates shall make effective and efficient use of time and information for each LIR call and chat session.
- Collects demographic information on all calls (including TTY calls), enters caller’s needs and options discussed into computer program; documents referrals given to callers; maintains data entry records for worker activity codes.
- Respond to caller’s requests for domestic violence materials (i.e. Brochures, flyers, posters, handouts and other promotional materials).
This description only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow and any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by his or her supervisor or management.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Professional and personal experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- Willingness to participate in extensive training program.
- Experience/familiarity with computers. Knowledge of Word for Windows and Access preferred.
- Ability to work shifts which will provide coverage for Love is Respect Helpline during operational hours 24/7 hours, 365 days per year including holidays.
- Ability to attend required meetings (including, but not limited to, Program Team and In-Service trainings), which may be scheduled during hours outside of the Advocate’s regular schedule.
- Ability to manage time and complete multiple activities within a time frame.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high stress situations.
- Ability to work as a team member, providing support and constructive feedback in interpersonal interaction.
- Commitment to feminist and nonviolent perspective and behavior and willingness to work in such an environment.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to be flexible and creative.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to adjust work hours to requirements of the organization including occasional overtime as needed.
- Ability to respond with empathy and support to victims in crisis situations and with sensitivity and awareness to diverse cultural, ethnic and social backgrounds, values, attitudes and languages.
- Commitment to concept of local, community, volunteer-based delivery of human services by domestic violence shelters and teen dating abuse agencies.
- Commitment to LIR program philosophy.
Other Requirements/Working Conditions
- Ability to read, write and converse in English, available to travel overnight occasionally and tolerate prolonged sitting or standing. Requires bending, stooping, lifting, and carrying objects up to 25 pounds, with or without accommodations and to effectively work long and at times odd hours while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Must have emotional and physical stamina to deal with a variety of stressful situations, including responses to complaints and internal and external interactions. Availability for local, state, national and international travel.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and minimum level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for the position. The employee will be required to perform any other job-related duties as required by the job objectives, the management, and mission and philosophy of LIR. This description does not modify any employee’s at-will-status and is not a contract for continued employment of any duration.
To Apply: Visit www.thehotline.org/jobs and download a full job description and an application and complete in its entirety. It can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to512.306.9887. A resume without an application will not be accepted.
We are an equal opportunity employer.