Safety and Privacy
Peer advocates with the National Dating Abuse Helpline understand that technology is constantly changing. It can be used to monitor your movements, both online and off. It can also be used to find your location, monitor who you communicate with and what websites you visit. Did you know:
- Someone can monitor your computer use without you knowing?
- "History" cannot be completely erased from a computer?
- Your cell phone use can be monitored?
- A global positioning system (GPS) can be placed on your car, purse or cell phone without you knowing it?
- Some court systems are putting their records online and they may contain personal information?
- Email is like a postcard and can be intercepted?
- You can find safe computers at www.ctcnet.org?
Technology is frequently used against you in an unhealthy or abusive relationship. This misuse is especially true if you’re trying to break up. Peer advocates can help you use technology safely, whether you’re a victim, friend or family member. Chat with us to learn more.