At loveisrespect, we believe everyone deserves to have healthy relationships, including YOU.
If you have questions about dating in general or a specific relationship, or if you are in an unhealthy or abusive relationship, you deserve support and resources to help you with your situation. You are not alone; our peer advocates are here for you 24/7.
Loveisrespect advocates are trained on issues related to dating abuse and healthy relationships, as well as crisis intervention. This means that when you contact a loveisrespect advocate, they will listen to your situation, assess how you’re feeling in the moment, and help you figure out the next best steps for you. You might brainstorm a safety plan together, or the advocate may be able to find some local resources for you, whether it’s a counselor, support group, legal service or whatever you might need.
Your Relationship Rights
Whether you’re in a relationship or just thinking about dating, remember your rights:
- You have the right to privacy, both online and off
- You have the right to feel safe and respected
- You have the right to decide who you want to date or not date
- You have the right to choose when/if you have sex and who you have sex with
- You have the right to say no at any time (to sex, to drugs/alcohol, to a relationship), even if you’ve said yes before
- You have the right to hang out with your friends and family and do the things that you enjoy, without your partner getting jealous or controlling
- You have the right to leave a relationship that isn’t right or healthy for you
- You have the right to live free from violence and abuse